Thursday, January 7, 2010

See's Chocolate Fudge

How can it be that it has been a whole month since I posted? The holidays and extra snow made baking especially fun. The chocolate fudge recipe has been requested by several people so I am starting the new year posting it.

In the early 70s, the popular story going around was that this was the recipe that the See's Candy Stores in California used for their chocolate fudge. We all liked, and still like, See's candy so this became a popular recipe with my family. Truthfully, I don't think this is the real recipe because, although I really like the creaminess and flavor of this fudge, it isn't quite the same as See's. But this will always be the "See's Fudge" recipe to me!

Joyce was my mother’s cousin. She made this fudge for Christmas every year for everyone. One year she made 100 pounds of fudge for the family Christmas get together! I cannot even imagine 100 pounds of fudge! I was a young teenager at the time and didn't really pay that close of attention to what 100 pounds of fudge really looked like, but I am quite sure that I have never since seen that much fudge all in one place. Enjoy!


See's Fudge
Joyce


4 1/2 cups sugar
1 (12 oz.) can evaporated milk
18 oz. Nestle's chocolate chips
1/2 pound butter or margarine
2 cups chopped walnuts
1-7 oz. jar marshmallow cream

Put sugar and milk in kettle and bring to rolling boil for 20 minutes, stirring constantly. Put chocolate chips, margarine, and marshmallow cream in a large bowl or pot. Pour milk mixture over the contents in the bowl and beat until creamy. Add walnuts, mix well, and pour into a buttered 9 x 13" pan and let set until firm.

What I Do: I usually use margarine. When I make this for my mom, she doesn't like the nuts cut at all. I use my Kitchen Aid mixer to beat this, unlike the old days when the sign of a good fudge maker was how well they could beat the fudge. However, even in my 6 quart mixing bowl, a double batch really is too much for the mixer bowl although you can do it. Just prepare to clean up a little bit of a mess and be VERY careful when you start the mixer.


1 comment: