Saturday, December 18, 2010

Yams and Apples

Every family has their favorite recipes and stories behind how those came to be the family favorites. No one in my immediate family-starting with my husband-liked yams with brown sugar and marshmallows. I tried this, he liked it, and forever after we always brought the yams and apples to everything because he volunteered us.

This recipe is from one of my bridal showers where the hostesses collected recipes from all of the guests. Some of our family favorites over the years date back to that immense collection of recipes from experienced wives and mothers.

Now, even my daughter-in-law who does not normally like yams, appreciates this recipe which is a nice blend of fall flavors highlighting the yams but meshing with apples and cinnamon.

Yams and Apples
Alice

6-8 yams, boiled until just done, then sliced in 1/8" slices
5-6 apples, peeled and sliced thinly

Layer in casserole or deep 9x13” baking dish and cover with sauce.

Sauce:

1 cup white granulated sugar
2 cups water
¼ pound margarine
3 Tablespoons cornstarch (dissolve in ¼ cup cold water then add to mixture)
1 teaspoon salt

Boil until thick and clear then pour over layered yams and apples.

Bake at 350ยบ F. for 30-35 minutes until apples are done.

What I Do: I always bake the yams because it is usually easier. However, be sure to put them on a cookie sheet since I have had many an oven with yam on the bottom smoking during the cooking of the Thanksgiving turkey. I add about 1+ teaspoons cinnamon to the sauce. The original recipe had you sprinkle each layer with cinnamon. I don’t ever add the salt and I have gotten very sloppy about the measurements over the years so it is not always the same.

NOTE: One of my daughters now makes this with 1/2 the sugar with good results. The original recipe called for canned yams, but I don't prefer them so always use fresh ones.

1 comment:

Theresa Escalante said...

As the designated Yams & Apples maker in the family, I just realized after making this on Christmas Day that I have always used a whole stick of butter (1/2 cup) and have never used margarine. I bring the water, sugar, and butter to a boil and then add the cornstarch and suddenly it thickens. I have never used the salt. And I tried using brown sugar on Saturday and it did not alter the flavor, so I will probably go back to white sugar or perhaps experiment with some other form of sweetener. Also, I have always wanted to try leaving the peels on the apples, so I tried that. The unanimous vote was to peel the apples.