Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Poppyseed Salad Dressing

It looks like it is trying to be spring, but it is still very cold most days where I live. Yesterday I came out to frozen raindrops on my windshield. I have to admit that it looks cool (no pun intended), but that just shows HOW cold it has been! I love winter and I love the snow, but it is always refreshing to move into spring.

This time of year I start getting the urge to eat and cook springy foods. I made pasta primavera last night for dinner, even though it included several rather winter vegetables, to get in the spirit. Even though the main dish is so veggie based, I still like to eat a green salad with it. One of my favorite salad dressings is this poppyseed dressing. I have two variations of it and I will post both.

In the past I have usually made it with vegetable oil because the one time I used olive oil, I didn't care for it. However, my son brought back some olive oil from the area that is is supposed to have the best olive oil in Spain. I tried that olive oil in the dressing and it is fabulous although it does have a slight greenish tint.

Also, I pour the oil (whatever kind I am using) in a thin steady stream through the center hole of my blender lid. This makes the dressing thicken to a nice consistency.

Below are a few salad combinations to get you started even before spring fully arrives.

Winter Salad with Poppyseed Dressing
Nancy


1 large head romaine, torn into bite size pieces (fresh spinach is also good)

1 cup shredded Swiss cheese

1 cup cashews

¼ cup craisins

1 apple, cubed

1 pear, cubed


Combine and toss with dressing to coat.


Dressing:


Blend in blender:

½ teaspoon salt

½ cup sugar

1/3 cup fresh lemon juice

2 teaspoons finely chopped onion

1 teaspoon Dijon mustard


With machine running add 2/3 cup olive oil in a slow steady stream. Process until thick and smooth. Add 1 tablespoon poppy seeds.


Variation: Brenda's Spinach Salad: baby spinach, parmesan cheese, craisins, slivered almonds-toasted, fruit (sliced pears, strawberries, or mandarin oranges). Toss with dressing: In blender, blend ¼ onion, 1/3 c. red wine vinegar, then add ½ c. sugar, 1 tsp. salt, 1 T poppy seeds, 1 T grey poupon mustard, 1 cup oil. Blend in blender.

.


What I Do: I had better luck making the salad dressing from Brenda but I don’t add the mustard. I mix and match what I have on hand, but I really like the craisins and/or other fruit in addition to the vegetables in my salad. My sons are not as fond of fruit or nuts in the salads, so sometimes I serve the craisins or nuts on the side to be added as desired.


No comments: