Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Spinach and Potato Fritatta

Since January I have been in a produce co-op which I have enjoyed. It has been fun to try some new vegetables and fruits and some that I have tasted before, but don't normally buy. The good deals from buying in bulk even brought us several avocados one week which I was ecstatic about!

However, some of the items have come in quantities I would not normally buy. Such was the case with LOTS of spinach over a few week period of time. During our recent snow storm, while holed up at home, I had an opportunity to cook, and cook, and well, cook some more enjoying the relaxation and kitchen therapy. I even found a new recipe that can use lots of that spinach I was talking about. I tested it out on my son who isn't crazy about cooked spinach, potatoes in eggs, or numerous other recipes and he even liked it!

I don't actually know the history of fritattas, but my father who is Italian apparently grew up eating them. I have had some variations over the years, but was surprised at how quick and easy this was to make.

Spinach and Potato Fritatta


2 tablespoons olive oil
6 small red potatoes, sliced
1 cup torn fresh spinach
2 tablespoons sliced green onions
1 teaspoon crushed garlic
salt and pepper to taste
6 eggs
1/3 cup milk
1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese


Heat olive oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Place potatoes in the skillet, cover, and cook about 10 minutes, until tender but firm. Mix in spinach, green onions, and garlic. Season with salt and pepper. Continue cooking 1 to 2 minutes, until spinach is wilted.

In a medium bowl, beat together eggs and milk. Pour into the skillet over the vegetables. Sprinkle with Cheddar cheese. Reduce heat to low, cover, and cook 5 to 7 minutes, or until eggs are firm.

What I Do: I have made this several times now and found that you can use significantly more spinach than the recipe calls for without the flavor of the spinach taking over. As I said, even my son liked it! I didn't have any green onions on hand, so I chopped a couple of tablespoons of a yellow onion finely.

No comments: