Saturday, October 16, 2010

Brownie Pudding

I have been away with family emergencies and events for quite some time, but I am excited to be back on the blog again.

Many years ago, while looking through my favorite cookbook, Better Homes and Gardens, I found this recipe and my family liked it. It is always amazing to me that you pour this watery stuff over the batter and get pudding.

Recently, on the Taste of Home website, I found a crockpot version. Especially in the fall and winter, my oven is often busy with multiple things cooking in it, so the idea of making this family favorite in the crockpot seemed a perfect solution.

I have a 6 quart crockpot, so a single recipe of "Hot Fudge Cake" as Taste of Home calls it, cooked in about 2 hours. That was actually a treat for my purposes because that means that by the time I get dinner cooked and we eat, the dessert could be done. However, it also means that I can't leave it cooking all day while I am at work since 2 hours is not normally a choice on crockpot times.

You will see the originals of both recipes, and my notes. I think that I now would try the original Brownie Pudding in the crockpot. I like it better because it is a little more moist, however, it may have to do with the method of cooking. Any ideas on that?


Brownie Pudding

Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook

1 cup all-purpose flour

¾ cup granulated sugar

2 Tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder

2 teaspoons baking powder

¼ teaspoon salt

½ cup milk

2 Tablespoons cooking oil

1 teaspoon vanilla

½ cup chopped walnuts

¾ cup packed brown sugar

¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder

1 ½ cups boiling water


  1. Grease 8”x 8”x 2” baking pan; set aside. In a medium bowl stir together the flour, granulated sugar, the 2 tablespoons cocoa powder, the baking powder, and salt. Stir in the milk, oil, and vanilla. Stir in the walnuts.


  1. Pour batter into prepared baking pan. In a small bowl stir together the brown sugar and the ¼ cup cocoa powder; stir in the boiling water. Slowly pour water mixture over batter.


  1. Bake in a 350˚ oven for 40 minutes. Cool on a wire rack for 45-60 minutes. Serve warm. Spoon cake into dessert bowls; spoon sauce over cake. If desired, serve with vanilla ice cream.


What I Do: We usually had this cold because we like it better – or maybe because I like it better cold so that is the way I always served it.


Hot Fudge Cake

Taste Of Home Website


1-3/4 cups packed brown sugar, divided

1 cup all purpose flour

6 Tablespoons cocoa, divided

2 teaspoons baking powder

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 cup milk

2 Tablespoons butter, melted

1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

1-1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips

1-3/4 cups boiling water

vanilla ice cream


In a small bowl, combine 1 cup brown sugar, flour, 3 Tablespoons cocoa, baking powder and salt. In another bowl, combine the milk, butter, and vanilla; stir into dry ingredients just until combined. Spread evenly into a 3-quart slow cooker coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with chocolate chips.

In another small bowl, combine the remaining brown sugar and cocoa; stir in boiling water. Pour over batter-DO NOT STIR. Cover and cook on high for 4-4 1/2 hours or until a toothpick inserted near the center of the cake comes out clean. Serve warm with ice cream. Yield: 6-8 servings.


WHAT I DO: As I said, I only have a 6-quart slow cooker so this cooked much faster. I would consider doubling it, but only when I would be home in a couple of hours to check it.

We did not like the chocolate chips at all. Interestingly, I don't like the original browning pudding with ice cream, in fact, I don't like it warm at all. However, this version was a little more palatable to me warm, with vanilla ice cream.




1 comment:

Kellie said...

Hallelujah! You're back to blogging! So glad. I understand why you've been gone, but I do like reading about your food adventures, friend.