Saturday, October 23, 2010

Butternut Squash Soup

A week or so ago I found a very cool cookbook. I have seen it before, but this time I was very motivated to buy it because it had a particular recipe I had been looking for. The book is by Todd Wilbur, who apparently has written several copycat recipe books for beloved restaurant fare . I am still honing the recipe I bought it for, but in the mean time, I found the recipe for Spago's Butternut Squash Soup. I have had squash soup that I liked, I have tried to make it and it was ok, but this was really yummy and very fallish.

We decided that, even though my family likes soup as a main dish in the fall and winter, this is really a side dish type of soup. So, on the second night, we had Butternut Squash Soup with cheese sandwiches. It was a perfect combo! I can imagine scenarios, like when my sons were still at home, when that meal would have required a few loaves of bread to provide enough sandwiches; but for less ambitious eaters it hit the spot.

The soup was better the next day, apparently needing the time to meld the flavors together; AND it froze well. I froze it in 1 quart bags lying flat. It thawed very quickly, maybe a couple of hours at room temperature and heated beautifully in a saucepan on medium/low heat.

Spago's Butternut Squash Soup
Todd Wilbur

1 Tablespoon butter
1/2 cup chopped leek (about 1 leek)
1 1/2 pounds cubed butternut squash
(about 5 cups or 1 squash)
1 Gala apple, peeled and chopped
3 cups chicken broth
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
1/8 teaspoon ground cardamom
1 1/4 cups heavy cream
1 Tablespoon light brown sugar

Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium/low heat, then add the leek. Sweat the leeks for 6 minutes, or until soft, and then add the butternut squash, apple, chicken broth, and all the spices. Don't add the heavy cream or brown sugar yet. Crank up the heat to medium and bring this mixture to a low boil and cook for 30 minutes, or until the squash softens. Turn off the heat and let the soup cool for 5 or 10 minutes.

Pour the soup into a blender and blend on high speed until completely smooth. Add an additional 1/4 cup of water to the soup if it's too thick to blend. (To avoid a very messy and very hot situation, press down on the top of the blender with a folded dish towel to keep the lid from popping off.) I only blended about 2 cups at a time which also helped to minimize the hot soup from exploding.

Pour the soup back into the saucepan and add the cream and sugar. Bring the soup to a simmer over medium/low heat, about 10 minutes. Spoon approximately 1 cup soup into bowls to serve.

Serves 6

What I Do: I would use only 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg and 1/4 teaspoon of ground allspice because the flavor was a little too strong for my taste buds. I didn't have cardamom on hand so I omitted it. I used black pepper and it did not adversely affect the appearance.

No comments: