Saturday, October 23, 2010

Irritability Inhibitors

I was at the Smithsonian American History Museum last night for an educator evening. It was beautiful and fun and reawakened my patriotic feelings. One of displays now is a replica of Julia Child's kitchen, apparently with many of her real pots, pans, and kitchen gadgets. It is a very nice display that inspired me in the design of my dream kitchen.

In the area around the kitchen her life is presented in photojournaled placards with quotes and excerpts from her authentic writing and speaking. One of the quotes I liked was:
The thing about food is your're a much happier person if you eat well and treasure your meals. -Julia Child

In our family, there are several of us who get rather irritable when we have not eaten in a while, but alas the problem arises of finding quick and easy foods that contribute to nutritional intake vs. junk food. Don't get me wrong, I can eat junk food with the best of them, but in those moments when I need food to alleviate my crankiness, I find that my favorites like chocolate and chips often contribute to the problem.

I attended a class a few years ago and they gave out a list entitled, "Everyone's Hungry, Now What Am I Going To Fix?" I have added to the list and here it is-Irritability Inhibitors-easy snacks and meals that can be prepared in 5-30 minutes.

You can adapt the list to the Irritability Inhibitors that will help your family enjoy their meals and be happy!

Irritability Inhibitors



Sometimes you need to take care of low blood sugar levels NOW before everyone is grouchy and the evening is ruined. Here is a list of quick ideas to help.


Grilled cheese sandwich

Grilled ham and cheese

Tuna salad on toast

Tuna salad on crackers and apple slices

Cheese sticks and apple slices—add a piece of toast or crackers

Peanut butter on celery

Peanut butter on crackers

Chili dogs (aka: Breakfast of Champions) –use canned chili

Speghetti with bottled sauce

Mini pizzas using pita breads flat or

French bread pizza

Deluxe nachos (refried beans, cheese, salsa, etc.)

Quesadillas (some people in our family practically lived on these for years)

Seven layer dip and chips

Chef’s salad

Hawaiin haystacks

Omelets

Scrambled eggs with ham or hash browns

Pancakes or waffles

Fruit smoothies

Orange Julius

Baked potatoes

Slumgulion

Mexican Soup

Enchilada Casserole

Apples with caramel dip

Raw vegetables with ranch dressing

Granola (with or without milk)

Banana chips

Dried apples


2 comments:

Kellie said...

You left out Dove Unconditional Chocolate and Irresistible Raspberry ice creams. Just sayin'.

Matthew said...

Another note is that, while these are good irritability inhibitors, living off of just one doesn't always work out as well. I change it up every time I run out of something:)