Monday, October 18, 2010

Pumpkin Bread

As I've said before, I love fall! In fact, the last few mornings I really enjoyed opening the door to a puff of brisk air. I start nesting and hibernating in the fall, maybe I was really meant to be a bear. In fact, I'm sure there are some days my kids would have said I was definitely a bear--although I don't think fall had anything to do with that.

The crisp fall air, entices me to the kitchen to cook and bake and warm the house. While apples and pumpkins are the traditional fall icons, I have written about apples and previously included apple recipes. So, prompted by my friend, I am including one of my family's favorite pumpkin recipes.

This pumpkin recipe goes back to the days before dirt when I was an undergraduate in college. My adventurous roommate decided that she wanted to make pumpkin bread but did not have a recipe. That did not even slow her down-she began concocting what proved to be fabulous pumpkin bread. We (the roommates) all liked it so much that we got together with her and made it a few more times, taking copious notes in the process, until we had it just right. Now, 35 years later (I cannot possibly be THAT old) it is still our family's favorite pumpkin bread recipe.

We also have excellent results with using grated zucchini instead of pumpkin; but this recipe definitely has fallish flavor because of the spices, so it is not your typical zucchini bread. If you have gargantuan amounts of zuchini frozen in your freezer not sure when you will ever use it, this is a great recipe to show it off. No one will be the wiser and everyone will appreciate the treat.

Pumpkin Bread

Peggy


2 + 2/3 cups brown sugar

2/3 cup water

2/3 cup oil

4 eggs

3 1/3 c. whole wheat flour

1 ¾ cups mashed pumpkin

1 ½ teaspoon salt

1 ½ teaspoons ground cinnamon

1 ½ teaspoons ground cloves

2 teaspoons baking soda

½ teaspoon baking powder

½-1 cup raisins or chopped nuts optional


Mix ingredients in the order listed. Pour into greased loaf pans. (1 pan makes a taller fuller loaf. 2 pans makes, obviously, 2 smaller loaves. I have made it both ways.) Bake for one hour at 350ยบ F.


WHAT I DO: I use whole wheat flour when I have it, but I have made it with only white flour, but it is definitely more moist so add an extra 1/2 cup of flour when using only white flour. I like the nuts, but just use a half cup or so (mostly to save money), but my family does not like it with raisins so I never use them in this recipe. I usually use canned pumpkin, but I have made it with my own cooked pumpkin, which results in a more moist bread.


NOTE: This is the recipe that my family uses for both pumpkin and zucchini breads, but it does have more of a fallish flavor.


1 comment:

Kellie said...

Thanks, friend. I will be trying it soon.