Friday, October 9, 2009

Apple Cake

One of my favorite things about fall is crisp red apples. I used to prefer Red Delicious apples, but now I think maybe that was because they were the only kind I had eaten, or I had eaten them very fresh. Now, my favorite eating apples are Galas, followed closely by Fuji and Braeburns. I eat them last at lunch time because they leave a fresh taste in my mouth and their crunch seems to satisfy some of my insatiable munchiness.

Gratefully, I inherited some cooking apples yesterday. I am excited to make one of my favorite fall desserts, apple cake. Although this cake is easy, it needs to be put together just the way it says or it will not turn out right. Budget Saver: This can be made with whatever apples are least expensive, or if you happen to have some apples on hand that have seen better days for eating, you can cut the bad spots out and use them here.

Make the Cook ‘N Serve pudding, for the top of the cake, in the microwave for easier clean up and quicker finished product.


Apple Cake
Sean’s Mom

4 cups sliced apples, peeled
2 cups sugar

Mix together, then add:

2 cups flour
1 ½ teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons cinnamon

Mix the following until coagulated then add to above mixture, mixing by hand:

2 eggs
¾ cup oil
1 teaspoon vanilla

1 box of vanilla Cook ‘N Serve pudding

If you mix these ingredients in the order you do for most cake recipes, the cake does not turn out right. This is VERY thick—looks like apples with a little goop added. Bake in 9x13-inch pan at 350ยบ for 50 minutes. Serve with custard sauce. I use Jell-O Cook ‘n Serve vanilla pudding, warm. In a pinch, I have used the instant pudding made with an extra ½ cup of milk, but the warm pudding is best.

NOTE: The original recipe really does say coagulate. I thought that was a funny thing in a recipe, the mom is a chemist! This is the best apple cake ever!

No comments: