Thursday, October 22, 2009

Apple Dip

Although we are having a 2-day break in fall weather so it is warm and sunny, a favorite fall snack in our family is apples and dip. I first had this dip a number of years ago and LOVED it! I asked for the recipe and was surprised at how easy it was. If I make the dip and keep it in the refrigerator, the kids will even choose apples and dip over junk food as an after school snack!

I am kind of weird about always peeling my apples, but for these slices I leave the peeling on and it does not distract from the taste at all; but the color from the peeling looks nice and adds nutrients. My mom always said that most of the vitamins are in the peeling!

I had to take a side dish for a lunch today, so I made my handy dandy dip in a few minutes, sliced 12 apples in about 5 minutes and got rave reviews on the dip. Budget Tip: Buy the cream cheese on sale and store in your freezer. Thaw the cream cheese in the refrigerator overnight and it is ready to use the next day. If you are using a lot of cream cheese, it is convenient to buy the 3 pound box at a club store; however, if you buy it on sale, it is usually less expensive.



Apple Dip


1 8oz package cream cheese

½ cup brown sugar

½ teaspoon vanilla

apple slices

Mix well with your mixer and dip apple slices. This tastes very caramelly. It always receives rave reviews!


What I Do: I do not peel the apples. A mix of red and green apples makes a nice presentation. I have a Kitchenaid mixer that I use, but truthfully, if I am only making this much, sometimes I just pull out the hand mixer and it does fine. My friend actually mixes this by hand, but the electric mixer makes it nice and fluffy.


And THAT is really all there is to it!


1 comment:

Theresa Escalante said...

I made this the other day and used Neufchatel cheese. It was so yummy and so fall-ish. Thanks!