Saturday, October 10, 2009

Ham Fried Rice

It seems that I have been thinking of this meal for several days now. I even got some ham the last time I went shopping especially so I could make Ham Fried Rice. But alas, I am finally making it today. It is inexpensive, easy, filling, tastes good, freezes well, and is quick to make. Now, that is some resume for a yummy dinner!

Apparently it wasn't clear to my sons the day that I was running late and called home to have them make this meal for dinner that it is necessary to saute the onions a little before you add the other ingredients. It tasted ok, but the onions definitely take longer to cook than anything else.

This is a great meal for leftover rice and/or leftover ham. I usually use whatever ham I have on hand, leftover ham (like at Christmas or Easter or whenever we have a ham), lunchmeat (the rectangle kind), or any ham that you have on hand or like. Since my family members are not huge carnivores, except one son, I usually don't add the full amount the recipe calls for which makes this a perfect recipe to use leftovers.

As a timesaver, if I know I will be making this dish, I make extra rice with another meal beforehand. I refrigerate the extra rice to use the day I make Ham Fried Rice making this even quicker and easier to prepare.


Ham Fried Rice

(from What’s for Dinner? By Brenda Bennett)


2 eggs

3 cups cooked rice

1 pound ham, diced

2 cups frozen peas

1 can chopped mushrooms

2 Tablespoons dried onion

1 can sliced water chestnuts

2 Tablespoons soy sauce


Whisk eggs and cook in a skillet. When set, remove from pan and cut into strips. Combine all ingredients in a bag. Remove air and seal. Freeze. We have used this in the freezer meal swap.

Freezer Bag Instructions: Thaw. Fry in 2 Tablespoons oil until heated through.


What I do: I add another 2-3 cups of cooked rice and reduce the ham by about ½; one son likes having a LOT of ham, but the rest of us think it is too much. Also, I just use fresh onion that I have on hand. Green onions are my preference, but if I don’t have them on hand, I use what I have. I don't always use mushrooms, but I do always use water chestnuts.


If I am making it to use now, I just proceed with the directions without putting it in a bag or freezing it.


NOTE: This was originally a freezer meal recipe and you can make 12 packages in about an hour and a half once the ingredients are all cooked. Be sure the rice is just barely cooked if you are freezing it or you will have a mushy dinner..


No comments: