Thursday, October 29, 2009

Cheesesteak Sandwiches

Oh my, what a hectic week! I have spent the week compiling orders, ordering food, picking up food, and helping to assemble about 350 sub sandwiches for a fundraiser for my son's high school band. It was a little stressful, but after the subs were done today, I felt some exhilaration at completing the task--even with its gliches--of again preparing volumes of food.

Now that so many of my kids have left home, I don't get the opportunity very often to prepare as large of quantities as I used to. When I do, I always remember how much I really do enjoy cooking.

Last night after running around picking up food, delivering vegetables to be cut for today, and finding room to store VOLUMES of tomatoes, onions, and cheese in my refrigerator last night, I was very tired and didn't really feel like doing much; but we needed a quick dinner because the boys both had to be somewhere.

I turned to a favorite standby since being introduced upon our move to Maryland, Cheesesteak Sandwiches. The rolls make a difference in the taste of this meal, and we like LOTS of green peppers and onions with our meat. Budget Tip: Most expensive is not always best! We discovered, by accident, that our favorite rolls to use for this meal are our store brand club rolls. They are sort of like a 6" french roll.

Cheesesteak Sandwiches

1 16 ounce box frozen cheesesteak
1-1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
2-4 green bell peppers, sliced in strips
2-3 onions

Saute onions and bell peppers for about 5 minutes on medium heat. Add the frozen meat, no need to thaw. Use a spoon or spatula to break up the meat and move the vegetables and meat around so they don't burn. Continue until there is no pink in the meat and the vegetables are cooked a little more than tender crisp.

Serve on rolls that have been warmed at 500 degrees for about 5 minutes. We like them just a little bit crisp on the outside.

Split the rolls, spoon about 1/3 - 1/2 cup meat and vegetables, sprinkle with cheese immediately so it will melt on the sandwich.


NOTE: I just cut the onion in half lengthwise, then slice thin wedges into the pan with the peppers. As the onion cooks, the parts separate themselves and grill up nicely.

No comments: